3.28.2008

Homesick


Today , more than ever, I miss the things that once belonged to me without ever having bought them. I never realized that distance was such a difficult thing to accept.


Before I came here, the thought of living in a country as far and different from my own was , in my mind, an exiting though. Now that I live in exile from all the things that made me the person I am today, I realize, halve of my hart is in Kyoto but the other half never boarded the plane.


I miss my little island by the sea,
I miss rice and beans
I miss plantains very much.


Thinking about moving to a distant country and actually doing it are very different things, the price to pay is very high, and it hurts to have to pay it. In a perfect world Japan would have a little bridge to my country and I could cross it anytime to check up on the people that I love and still make it in time to come back and be with my new family, but life makes you choose, and its either one or the other but never both at the same time.


March 25th was the date on my return airplane ticket, I no longer have the security of having a return date. Now that I live here indefinitely, this new reality is slowly sinking in.


I am very very far from home
I am very very far from home
I am very very far from home

This is your new home


I keep saying these things in my mind......
How long does it take to get used to the distance?

I guess this is what adaptation is suposed to feel like...... I miss my home.

No comments: